Moto Magazine

Now Reading:

Horror crash sidelines Karro in Swedish GP

Horror crash sidelines Karro in Swedish GP

Team STR KTM made the long trip to Sweden for the ninth round of the FIM Motocross World Championship at the popular Uddevalle track, 80km north of Gothenburg. With Nez Parker’s injury still not sufficiently healed for him to make a return to action, Jamie Law again took his place alongside Matiss Karro.

However, disaster struck the team again when Karro suffered a horrific crash in Saturday’s qualifying session. The unlucky youngster launched over the step-down jump just before the end of a fast lap only to be faced with another rider slowly rolling down the landing ramp. With no time to react, Karro landed on top of the other rider, leaving them both prostrate on the track. The impact left Karro unconscious for close to ten minutes. He was treated by the paramedics and taken to the local hospital. Unfortunately he was also found to have suffered a compression fracture of his T8 vertebra.

Qualifying Race:

With his teammate in hospital, Jamie Law was determined to put in a good performance to try and lift the team’s spirits. He subsequently delivered his best qualification session during his time with the team. Law traded places throughout the race with TM factory rider Anthony Boissiere and local favourite Tom Söderström, eventually finishing between the two in 20th position.


After a deluge of rain in the morning the track was extremely muddy and very treacherous. After making a good start on his new 2013 SX-F 450, Law was soon battling for 20th place. He was looking good on his new mount but on the third lap he lost control in the whoops and went down. He was soon back up and making his way back through the field when he started to have trouble with his rear brake sticking on. He had no alternative but to come into the pits for attention and on inspection a stone was found to be lodged in between his brake pedal and the frame. Back on track, Law was down in 36th place but showed great resolve and stuck to his task to fight his way back up to 23rd at the finish.

Race 2:

Law was again away well, just inside the top twenty but when he veered slightly off line in the bottom section of the track his bike simply sunk in the soft mud. After struggling to free his machine he eventually rejoined the action in 26th place and just as in the first race he fought his way back through, this time to within one place of a points scoring position, finally crossing the line in 21st.

Commenting on his weekend, Jamie Law said: “I’m disappointed I didn’t score any points today, I felt like I rode the new bike well but made a few mistakes which cost me any chance of a top twenty finish. I tried as hard as I could to get back into the top twenty in both races but ran out of time. I still enjoyed the experience; you learn so much when you ride amongst so many fast riders on tracks like this.”

Team Manager Steve Turner said: “The whole team is absolutely gutted for Matiss, he is so unlucky. He did absolutely nothing wrong but still ended up with another serious injury. His head hit the ground with such force that things could have been even worse. Thank god he was wearing a Shoei helmet. The main thing is that he is going to be okay and everyone needs to be patient now and give him the time he needs to get himself back to full fitness.”

“Jamie rode well again today in difficult circumstances and on another day could have had two point scoring finishes but it was always going to be a bit of a lottery with the track conditions as they were.


Next up in Team PR

Zach Osborne wins in Sweden (Monster Energy Mud Xbox tournament)